Max Rutherston offers Japanese art in many forms. While the emphasis is on netsuke, the gallery endeavours at all times to have interesting holdings of inro and other sagemono, pipe cases and tonkotsu, lacquer, ceramics, sculpture and samurai accoutrements, as well as selected Meiji period works of art.
Four to consider
- **SOLD** Rare, possibly unique, lacquered wood netsuke of a tiger, by Yamaguchi Okatori2024-02-02T12:26:42+00:00
- Important Large Umimatsu Netsuke of a Cicada on an Oak Branch by Tsuramitsu (Kamman)2024-01-18T17:36:39+00:00
- ‘Leave it’, a Lightly Stained Boxwood Netsuke of a Greyhound, by Adam Bland2024-01-08T15:50:31+00:00
- A Japanese Kamakura Period Lacquered Wood Figure of Amida Nyorai2023-12-15T18:07:31+00:00
Multi Lingual Assistance
Translate Our Website
Please use the Google Translate Tool to read our website content in your preferred language. To simplify this we have listed languages at the top of every page on this website.
**** Currently when you move to a new page the site will revert to English, please simply click on the Flag or language icon again****
Art Advisory Service
Although our principal activity is the buying and selling of netsuke and other Japanese works of art, we are also able to undertake valuations (appraisals) and offer advice on the disposal of individual works of art and collections across a wide spectrum of discipline.
Netsuke of Distinction We Have Sold.
- **SOLD** Pale Boxwood Netsuke of a Rakan by Shugetsu I2023-11-13T20:17:46+00:00
- ** SOLD ** Wood netsuke of a Shishi by Hoshin2022-11-27T10:23:19+00:00
- **SOLD TO AN IMPORTANT EUROPEAN MUSEUM** Wood Netsuke of a Seated Tiger, by Naito Toyomasa2022-11-30T05:46:09+00:00
- **SOLD** Ivory netsuke of a stag2023-10-09T13:20:32+00:00
International Netsuke Market
New in 2021 is our International Netsuke Market. The objects displayed on this page are being offered for sale by clients known to me, and have been accepted by me, after careful consideration, as worthy of being posted.